2020 Ministry Table

Welcome to the newest members of the

Wheeler United Methodist Church

Ministry Table.

The 2020 Ministry Table

The 2018 Class (term expiring 12/31/2020):

Becky Gierke

Kit Runion

Lois Naillieux

 

The 2019 Class (term expiring 12/31/2021):

Marv Brickner

Bill Kane

Barb Pauley

 

The 2020 Class (term expiring 12/31/2022):

Charlie McGinley

Ken White

Rick McKee

 

Alternate Ministry Table Member – Steve Gierke (in the event one of the members is unable to complete their term)

The 2020 Lay Leader – Matt McGinley (The Lay Leader is an automatic member of the Table)

Church Officers will be elected at the first meeting of the Ministry Table.


January 26, 2020 Minutes

Wheeler United Methodist Church Meeting Minutes

January 26, 2020 

Attendance: Marv Brickner, Bill Peak, David Banning, Debbie Kane, Bill Kane, Steve Gierke, Matt McGinley, Charlie McGinley, Jack Runion, Shirley Harden, Barb Householder, Lois Naillieaux, Pat Thompson, Darlene Walsh, Bud Stowers, Linda Stowers, Myra Conrick, Rich Gaczkowski, Ken White, Rick McKee, Jackie Banning, Becky Gierke

Pastor opened the meeting with prayer.

Ministry Table 2020 Ballot: Terms expired in 2019 for Steve Gierke, Debbie Kane, and Ken White.

The following names will be on the upcoming ballot with the purpose of electing 3 whose terms will expire at the end of 2022: Rick McKee, Charlie McGinley, Bill Peak, Ken White, and Steve Gierke. Jeremy and Shiloh Banning will be asked again as they were unsure as to whether they were interested in being included on the ballot. Matt to follow up.

If anyone else is interested in serving on the ministry table, PLEASE contact someone currently serving or let Pastor David know. This is a church decision making body–not solely made up of persons DOING the hands-on work of the church. Wisdom, guidance, and prayer are included in ways to serve on the Ministry Table, although Ministry Table meeting attendance is certainly encouraged. Pastor mentioned that we will continue to try to meet on Sundays after church.

Other current members continuing to serve: (Expiring Term in 2020) Becky Gierke, Kit Runion, Lois Naillieux, (Expiring in 2021) Marv Brickner, Bill Kane, and Barb Pauley

Matt McGinley is currently serving as Lay Leader, a position voted on each year. Having no others on the ballot, he will continue in this position in 2020.

Ashes (John Ames): John’s wishes were to have his ashes spread on Wheeler Church property and/or the Wheeler Park. Barb and Bill Pauley also offered to have John’s ashes spread on their property. Ken White and Pastor Dave will see that John’s wishes are honored.

Church Security: Debbie Kane voiced concern over the church having no policy for security in the event of an intruder on the premises with the intent to harm. She will ask a friend in this business for advice and education to our congregation. Matter to be continued.

Church Signage: Marv relayed that the church sign currently on 130 would have to be set farther back off the road before changing out the sign and that a variance would be required. Steve offered to contact Rich Harder, owner of that property, for his plans and permission. Matter to be continued.

Treasurer’s Report: This church continues to be blessed with weekly gifts. The Church paid 100% of its tithes to the conference in 2019! We are paying the monthly bills — period. We have approximately $35,000 in savings and over $3,000 in the checking account. Allocated account balances were shared–most notably, $15,000+ for any building repairs, over $3,000 for missions, and $2,300 for youth. There are others, and please ask if you didn’t receive the list.

Specially allocated gifts to the church are usually put into the savings account, unless the gift is allocated to a monthly general fund budget item, such as Christian education. Samples of specially allocated accounts in savings include building repairs, sanctuary ceiling, flowers, camp for youth, missions, Wheeler park improvements, and the like.

Weekly giving met required expenses in 2 of 12 months in 2019. The needed funds to cover expenses in the other 10 months were withdrawn from undesignated funds in the savings account.

Wheeler Church continues to be blessed with giving and savings to meet budget needs. The church continues to be frugal in its stewardship of God’s abundant blessings.

Chili Cook Off: Should Wheeler Church have one this year? Wheeler High School has one in February. Jackie and Kenny will check to see when theirs is so there isn’t a conflict. We are considering February 29 or March 7 as possible dates. Camp is pretty well funded now for current possible attendees so another need should be considered. Pastor reminded everyone that the cook off is usually as much about town fellowship as it is about raising funds for the youth. It was suggested that we could raise funds to support the 6 monthly suppers Wheeler Church provides annually to the Men’s Homeless Shelter. There are certainly other missional needs to explore as well. More discussion to have later on this topic.

With no other business, the meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted, Rebecca Gierke



Ministry Table Minutes – June 23, 2019

WHEELER UNITED METHODIST CHURCH Minutes — Ministry Table Meeting June 23, 2019

 

Attendance: Pastor David Banning, Chairperson Marvin Brickner, Jacking Banning, Bob Forney, Steve Gierke, Becky Gierke, Bill Kane, Debbie Kane, Lois Naillieux, Barb Pauley, Bill Pauley, John Ames, Kit Runion, Ken White, Matt McGinley. Pastor opened the meeting with prayer.   Building and Grounds – Ken White reported an update:

  • Paving the parking lots—Bill Pauley had photos. No bids yet—still in process.
  • Fixing the sanctuary ceiling—no responses from contractors yet.
  • The back door of the parsonage needs to be replaced. Trustees have added this to the list.
  • Trustees will need help getting air conditioners in windows—hot weather ahead
  • Looking into handrails for the north entrance of Blaine Hall
  • Bill Pauley has asked Jim Henry for a quote to power wash the handicap ramp in preparation for staining. Old rusted screws have been removed (Bill Pauley and Ben Henry).
Treasurer’s Report The Account Balances Report and the Quarter 2 Budget Report were distributed. The church recently received a generous gift of $10,000 for parking lot paving. There is over $53,000 in the savings account. The bills are being paid.
Food Pantry Account Funds – This account has been depleted. Pastor distributed one of the $25 gas cards this week, and the remaining $465 was given to the Hebron Food Pantry. The letters are on the bulletin board,
Wheeler Church Registered Sex Offender Policy – Pastor offered a prayer. The covenant letter to be signed was presented to the Ministry Table. It was unanimously approved. This is a confidential, sensitive matter and not intended for public discussion outside of the Ministry Table forum.
VBS – News and outreach for support of this year’s Vacation Bible School was shared in worship today. There are spots yet to be filled. Pastor is spearheading this effort for the last week of July.   With no further business, the meeting adjourned. No date was set for the next meeting.   Respectfully submitted, Rebecca Gierke, Secretary


Ministry Table Minutes – May 19, 2019

WHEELER UNITED METHODIST CHURCH Minutes — Ministry Table Meeting May 19, 2019

 

Attendance: Pastor David Banning, Chairperson Marvin Brickner, Jacking Banning, Bob Forney, Steve Gierke, Becky Gierke, Bill Kane, Debbie Kane, Lois Naillieux, Bill Pauley, Kit Runion, Ken White   Pastor opened the meeting with prayer.   Building and Grounds – Kenny offered to chair this area for one year and presented a list of projects:

  • Paving the parking lots
  • Fixing the sanctuary ceiling
  • Lighting and repairing outdoor church signs
  • Upgrading the fellowship hall – finishing the “wish” list
  • Tossing the rotted timbers on the west side of the church
  Pastor noted that the sanctuary ceiling might be at the same level of priority as the parking and that we might consider investigating both as top priorities. The next step is to get firm bids from contractors and then consider available funds once we have prices to consider.
 
Ceiling Project – Kenny will contact a couple contractors (Steve passed along some names).
Paving Project – Steve will distribute scope for bids.
Outdoor signs – Pastor David offered to check with the church in Hamlet for electronic sign information.
 
Congregational Care – Kit offered to serve in this capacity on the Ministry Table. Pastor will give Kit access to the online member database so she may develop a plan for reaching out to members or attendees we haven’t seen in a while. We thank Shirley Harden for her great work in sending cards to folks who are ill, in the hospital, or grieving a loss. It is everyone’s responsibility to aid in efforts like this, and we need to continue to share news, names, and addresses so contacts and outreach may be made.
 
Worship Leader – Steve offered to serve in this capacity on the Ministry Table.
Wheeler Church Registered Sex Offender Policy – Steve will get with Marv within the week to provide a proposed policy for Wheeler.
 
Food Pantry Funds – The “Stuff the Bus” project has been cancelled. Kenny will contact Christine at Salem Church to see if we might donate some or all of our Food Pantry funds to aid in their efforts to help 60 needy families with food. Once we have some idea of how best to help, the Ministry Table members will be contacted via email or phone for consensus.
Gas Cards – Becky will use $100 from the Food Pantry funds to buy four $25 gas cards to have on hand for when we have someone in need come to the church for help.            
 
VBS – No date set yet. Lisa Zandy is willing to help but not direct VBS. Pastor and Jackie would like to recycle what we already have from prior years—all agreed this was a sound idea. Kit offered to help organize craft ideas and supplies. It was noted that Matt McGinley was great with the science/discovery area, and Tori Peracki is wonderful with games. It makes sense to find a week when most or all of our volunteers may be available. Pastor will get back to the group after talking with Lisa.
 
Summer Camp – It looks like 4 youth are planning to attend camp this summer. Pastor will let us know how many and when so we may support them in whatever way is needed.
 
F.U.U.N. Committee – Debbie reported that the committee would like to have a community-church picnic at the end of the VBS week. More later on that.   With no further business, the meeting adjourned. No date was set for the next meeting.
 
Respectfully submitted,
Rebecca Gierke, Secretary